Date:      Fri, 9 Jun 95 12:29:21 MDT
From:      terry@cs.weber.edu (Terry Lambert)
To:        peter@bonkers.taronga.com (Peter da Silva)
Cc:        hsu@freefall.cdrom.com, hackers@freefall.cdrom.com
Subject:   Re: automatic login

> > Since my console is physically secure, I would like to have my machine
> > come up and login me in automatically.  Any suggestions on how to
> > accomplish this?

[ ... put the shell in the /etc/ttys ... ]

> in there. For Sun we had to write a C program that set all sorts of nasty
> terminal modes and process groups and stuff. OSF/1^H^H^H^H^HDigitalUNIX
> just needs a script.

You will need to do the same for FreeBSD, since it doesn't use straight
device templating, unless you use a serial console, in which case you
could preset it.

Basically, login before your experiment, make sure you have regular
getty's on most things, and experiment on the first alternate
console.

That way you can stty -a on a working and non-working (type ^J instead
of return, probably) console and compare the two to see what you need to
put in the auto-login shell.

Personally, I think getty should be hacked to take a -p, like login
takes a -h, and run any program you want (I happen to think telnetd
should have the same hack).  This centralizes the default changes
to a small number of locations (not including login).

					Terry Lambert
					terry@cs.weber.edu
---
or previous employers.