Date:      Fri, 6 Oct 1995 22:04:08 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Peter Dufault <dufault@hda.com>
To:        mpp@mpp.minn.net (Mike Pritchard)
Cc:        freebsd-scsi@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Panic with scsi(8) & -current

> I have a scsi disk drive that appears to be failing, so I decided
> to try low-level formating it with scsi(8).  Relevant info:
>
> Adaptec 1542B controller
> Rodime RO3000S disk drive
>
> Issuing the following command will cause the panic:
>
> scsi -f /dev/rsd2c -c "4 0 0 0 0 0"
>
> After several seconds I see a timeout message from the
> scsi driver and then:
>
> panic: biodone: buffer not busy
>
> I can repeat the problem.
>
> Am I issuing the correct scsi command to do the low-level format?
> If not, can someone please tell me how to do it?  I dug the above
> command out of the mail archives after searching through all
> of the various scsi man pages and not finding anything.

Joerg Wunsch committed a "scsiformat" script to do a scsi disk
format based on the same command.  Your command will format the drive.
You'll have to set the command timeout to a longer time using the
"-s" switch since the format will take a while.  You can fetch
the script from -current if you want to refer to it.

It appears that after a command times out the system is panicing.

No, it shouldn't panic, and I don't think it used to.

Peter