Date:      Sun, 22 Aug 1999 20:47:33 +0900
From:      "Daniel C. Sobral" <dcs@newsguy.com>
To:        Chris <reman@tig.com.au>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: IDE quirk in 3.2-STABLE kernel ?

Chris wrote:

> I am glad to hear from Soren that this 'misconfiguration' will be
> supported in 4.0
> As always when a misconfiguration (read 'not to spec') is used enough
> then it quickly becomes somewhat of a de facto standard.

Old message, but still in need for reply.

Yeah, like isa shared irq's which are no longer supported by
Windows, or pcmcia card removal without previous deactivation which
is no longer supported by Windows, but were all "de facto"
standards.

What happens is that these "de facto" standards usually work only by
accident, only with certain hardware configurations, only with
certain loads, and/or only if the operating system adheres to
certain restrictions (like not being truly multitasking).

FreeBSD's main target is servers. Sure, we do care about desktop,
despite the common claim that we leave that to Linux. But the *main*
target is servers, and if supporting a "de facto standard" will
detract from support for server configurations, we will *not*
support it.

Alas, in most case is just a matter of making options for buggy
hardware/bios/whatever. But, again, people working on FreeBSD is
most likely to devote their time to making *good* hardware work than
making bad hardware work. And the same applies for the case above.

--
Daniel C. Sobral			(8-DCS)
dcs@newsguy.com

	- Come on.