Date:      Sun, 3 Aug 1997 14:05:17 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Tim Vanderhoek <hoek@hwcn.org>
To:        David Nugent <davidn@unique.usn.blaze.net.au>
Cc:        hoek@hwcn.org, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ports-current/packages-current discontinued

On Sun, 3 Aug 1997, David Nugent wrote:

> Doesn't a symbolic link from /usr/ports/distfiles to the CDROM work?
> This is admittedly problematic if you keep your ports tree up to
> date, but it's a reasonable workaround I've used occasionally. :)

We have to keep all the unnecessary bytes off the user's hdd.
If, during sysinstall-time, I'm grabbing the distfile from the
ftp.freebsd.org, I don't want it sitting in /usr/ports/distfiles.
I want it to be expanded, and thrown into the appropriate source
directory, where it will get rebuilt the next time ``make
world'' is run.

BTW, it shouldn't be necessary to symlink /usr/ports/distfiles to
/cdrom anymore.  If you use MASTER_SITE_OVERRIDE, fetch(1) will
recognize the file:// url and make a symlink from
/usr/ports/distfiles/mydist.hqx to /cdrom/mydist.hqx.  (Or, at
least, it should.  :)

--
Outnumbered?  Maybe.  Outspoken?  Never!
tIM...HOEk