Date:      Wed, 28 Jun 2000 09:27:03 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Robert Haas <rhaas@nextemps.com>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   install problems

I'm attempting to install FreeBSD on one of the PCs in my office.  I made
4.0-RELEASE boot disks using kern.flp and mfsroot.flp.  When I boot the
kern.flp disk, I get the following:

FreeBSD/i386 bootstrap loader, Revision 0.7
(root@monster.cdrom.com, Mon Mar 20 21:05:31 GMT 2000)
/kernel text=0x1d581e data=0x24c60+0x1a718 zf_read: fill error

elf_loadexec: archsw.readin failed
can't load module '/kernel': input/output error

It then appears to try again, and fails with essentially the same error
messages.  I then get the "ok " prompt.  I kind of presume that this is
all due to some kind of problem zero-filling the kernel BSS, but I am
more or less at a loss as to what would cause such a problem.

Pointers to the appropriate documentation/mailing list, or suggestions, would
be *greatly* appreciated.

Thanks,

...Robert