Date:      Sun, 8 Apr 2001 02:55:33 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Jim Durham <durham@w2xo.pgh.pa.us>
To:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Page fault with adaptec scsi pccard

I have more to report since the original posting, which was..

On Sat, 7 Apr 2001, Jim Durham wrote:

> I am trying an Adaptec scsi controller (AIC6360) with
> 4.3RC2.
>
> It does not work correctly with the out of the box pccard.conf.
>
> However, more importantly, pulling the card has twice produced:

> fault virtual address	=0x18
> fault code		= supervisor write, page not present
> instrutction pointer    = 0x8:0xc019fed9
> stack pointer 		= 0x10:0xc0384b48
> frame pointer		= 0x10:0xc0384b50
> code segment		= base 0x0, limit 0xfffff, type 0x1b
> 			= DPL 0, pres 1, def32 1, gran 1
> processor elflags	= interrupt enablesd, resume IOPL = 0
> current process		= Idle
> interrupt mask		= net tty bio cam
> trap number		= 12
> panic: page fault
>
> syncing disks... 8 8 8 8 8 8 8 8 8 8 8 8 8 8 8 8 8 8 8 8
> giving up on 8 buffers
> Uptime 4m49s

OK, I may have solved the problem with the D-Link card.

I was also playing with an Adaptec Slim Scsi card and, in
the course of experimenting, I changed the memory allocation
statement in pccard.conf so that it allocated 64K right
above my video card at 0xc0000.

When I plugged the D-link back in, I happened to notice that
it came up with a different MAC address than it had before.
I noticed this because the MAC address it had been using
started with "1f", which I thought at the time was unusual.
Now, the MAC address reported when the card is inserted
starts with 00, which is what I've always seen with MAC
addresses. I think the memory was getting munged.

Now, for the Adaptec...

-Jim Durham