Date:      Sun, 22 Dec 2002 16:11:34 -0500
From:      "David S. Jackson" <deepbsd@earthlink.net>
To:        Fernando Gleiser <fgleiser@cactus.fi.uba.ar>
Cc:        "P. U. Kruppa" <520023893678-0001@t-online.de>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: SQUID question

On Sun, Dec 22, 2002 at 04:17:02PM -0300 Fernando Gleiser <fgleiser@cactus.fi.uba.ar> wrote:
> On Sun, 22 Dec 2002, P. U. Kruppa wrote:
>

> > > What does the access.log say for Squid?
> > it completely ignores any access from 192.168.10.2 - the Win2k
> > machine.
>
> What do you mean? aren't there any lines for 192.168.10.2?
>
> If there are no lines for 192.168.10.2, the Win box is not connecting to
> the proxy. If the proxy is blocking the connection, it should log
> a TCP_DENIED line for the requesting IP.

Exactly.  I'm not sure Peter is even connecting to Squid.

Ideally, I would like a screenshot (close up window capture) of his
proxy config from IE, an entire copy of his squid.conf, and the last two
days of his access.log and his cache.log.

If *nothing* happens when he's trying to connect to the proxy, the
browser just times out with no error from Squid, that tells me IE
probably isn't even *seeing* the proxy, although you can never be sure
with M$ error descriptions.  :-)

If the winbox *is* seeing the proxy, perhaps the proxy is busy, deaf, or
dead, due to misconfiguration.  Hell, it could be as simple as a
permissions problem where Squid can't write to or read a file or
something.  But let's at least be sure Squid is running with no errors
and that it's willing and able to talk to his winbox.

--
David S. Jackson                        dsj@dsj.net