Date:      Tue, 28 Jul 1998 22:59:32 -0700
From:      Jeff Kletsky <Jeff@Wagsky.com>
To:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Support for V.90 PCI modems?

>I happened to have one of these lying around, a Diamond V.90 PCI internal.
>I stuck it in this machine and rebooted, running pretty much vanilla
>2.2.6-RELEASE, and this is what dmesg tells me:
>
>pci0:12: vendor=0x127a, device=0x1002, class=comms, subclass=0x00 int a irq 9
> [no driver assigned]

With Microsoft/Intel's PC99

http://www.microsoft.com/hwdev/pc99.htm
http://developer.intel.com/design/desguide/

calling for the elimination of ISA slots and suggesting only USB/PC Card
(*not* serial port) "external" modems within the next year, I don't think
we'll be seeing any new ISA modems from the major manufacturers.  Perhaps
PCI modem drivers could be incorporated into the upcoming 3.0 transition?

Thanks!

Jeff