Date:      Tue, 21 Feb 2012 16:29:40 +0100 (CET)
From:      Oliver Fromme <olli@lurza.secnetix.de>
To:        pfmeec@rit.edu (Paul Mezzanini)
Cc:        "hubs@FreeBSD.org" <hubs@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Query about the usage of FreeBSD mirror sites for other projects

Paul Mezzanini wrote:
 > The real issue is what if FreeBSD relies on a package that Gentoo has in
 > the mirror structure and then Gentoo prunes it out.  (Examples only, feel
 > free to change the project names to any that fit your mental model)
 >
 > I wonder how useful a setup would be that is just a giant bucket for all
 > project to pull from.  It has the potential to be great but also horrible.

Ultimately, it would be cool to have a more flexible and
dynamic system for distfiles.

Clients wouldn't download directly from certain FTP mirrors
anymore, but they would contact an "index server".  The index
servers maintain a list of locations where each distfile can
be found, similar to a very specialized search engine.  These
locations can be FreeBSD mirrors or mirrors of other projects
(Debian, Gentoo, whatever) or just random sites anywhere on
the internet.  The "MASTER_SITES" information currently
contained in the ports' Makefiles will be moved to the index
servers.

Either the index server returns a list of locations back to
the client (just like a search engine), so the client can
choose to download from one of them.  Or, alternatively,
the index server also acts as a proxy, so it fetches the
distfile from one of the known locations and hands it to the
client.  In this case it might also make sense to cache the
distfiles on the index server for a limited time (depending
on how often this file is requested, or its size).

I'm aware that such a system would require quite some work.
It's just an idea that came to my mind, but maybe it's worth
further investigation.  Maybe it should get an entry on
FreeBSD's "project ideas" page.

Best regards
   Oliver

"The ITU has offered the IETF formal alignment with its
corresponding technology, Penguins, but that won't fly."
        -- RFC 2549