Date:      Tue, 19 Nov 1996 13:45:44 -0600
From:      "Eric L. Hernes" <erich@lodgenet.com>
To:        Dan Janowski <danj@3skel.com>
Cc:        "Eric L. Hernes" <erich@lodgenet.com>, Peter Childs <pjchilds@imforei.apana.org.au>, grog@lemis.de (Greg Lehey), freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: cdrom boot?

Dan Janowski writes:
>Eric L. Hernes writes:
> >
> > The gist of that thread was that the El-Torito spec was done in
> > the true pc-hardware style.. a pile of crap.  It provides several
> > ways of making a CD bootable, ranging from `total hackery' to `the
> > right way'.  Now doesn't that sound familiar wrt specs? ;-)
> >

>I've wondered about this myself. The problem is with the PC
>architecture, really, as suggested. Maybe the way to go about it is to
>get us part of the way there.  Have a floppy image that can reliably
>boot strap the CDROM; something really minimal.

Naw, I think that it is possible to get fairly legitimate cdrom boot
support.  We were interested in building machines with no floppy drive
or hard disk, cdrom only.

>This issue really has to be addressed in the larger picture. We could
>stand a major revamping of fdisk/label for disks as well as booting
>and system loading, and booting from CDROMs is included. It's just not
>a standalone problem.

I think creating a bootable cd-rom would go something like:

Use mkisofs to create a cdrom image, as usual. Then slap bootblocks
in the image with something like dd.

OR

Incorporate the bootblock writing stuff into mkisofs directly, and pass
the filename in as yet another command line arg.  Then wrap the whole
thing as a wart in Jordan's makecdfs shell script

>Dan
>
>--
>danj@3skel.com
>Dan Janowski