Date:      Mon, 23 Aug 1999 13:21:08 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Sebestyen Zoltan <szoli@netvisor.hu>
Subject:   Slightly BSD related problem

Hi,

 I've got a problem with my machine at home which is slightly BSD related
(cause ONLY BSD could handle the problem:))).
 So: At this moment, I've got a 2.2.7-FreeBSD and an NT installed on my
PC.=20
 There are two hard drives in the PC, the primary master IDE drive is a
2.5 Quantum drive, it is set to LBA in the BIOS. The second one is
secondary slave, an old 405M Quantum drive. The (AWARD) BIOS can't
recognize right geometry of the latter one via 'IDE HD autodetection'. The
first HD has got the NT and BSD installed and a 'booteasy' in the root=20
sector installed from the FreeBSD distribution.
 Although booteasy can recognize the type of the partitions on the first
HD, it cannot boot them. The only way to boot up my PC is to insert the
BSD install CD in the CD drive and when the BSD boot prompt appears, type:
 1:wd(0,a)kernel.

 After that, the BSD already installed on the hard drive would start up,
recognizes is all the parts of the PC and everything would run fine as
they should. This situation happened tho weeks ago. Before, my PC work
quite well, w/o problems.

I would like to know, where does BSD know from the geometry of the disks
when BIOS can't get them.

=09=09=09Thanks in advance

-----
Sebesty=E9n Zolt=E1n <szoli@netvisor.hu>=09I'm believing that the Holy Spir=
it is
=09=09=09=09=09gonna allow the hand, and the foot, and
MAKE INSTALL NOT WAR=09=09=09the mouth, just to begin to speak, and
                                        to minister, and to heal coordinate=
d by
=09=09=09=09=09the head.

I use UNIX because reboots are for hardware upgrades.

                 Kick me! Whip me!! Make me develop on AIX!!!