Date:      Wed, 28 Aug 2002 08:42:04 +0100
From:      Matthew Seaman <m.seaman@infracaninophile.co.uk>
To:        Jim Arnold <jarnold@knightridder.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: adaptec 2940UW - bad or misconfigured

On Wed, Aug 28, 2002 at 12:01:58AM -0400, Jim Arnold wrote:
> Installed an Adaptec 2940UW onto an Epox EP-MVP3G2 motherboard and
> then did a clean install of FreeBSD 4.6.2 onto a Seagate ST39175LW.
> The install went without a hitch but when I reboot I get
> the error "Disk boot failure, insert system disk and press enter."
>
> When I take the SCSI drive and install it into another box with an
> Adaptec 2940U2W it boots fine.
> If the card or scsi cable was bad wouldn't the install have failed?
>
> Spent some time changing BIOS settings but this does nothing. BIOS is
> set to boot SCSI first.
> Previously this Epox board had the Adaptec 2940U2W before it was
> moved to another box as part of an upgrade.

Did you check the SCSI BIOS settings as well as the general system
BIOS? (If I remember correctly, you hit Ctrl-A very early in the boot
sequence to get into Adaptec SCSI BIOSes).  It may be that LUN has
been marked as a device not suitable for booting from.

Otherwise, I think you've pretty much ruled out any other conclusion
than the card is faulty.  Caveat Emptor.  The card may still work fine
as a secondary bus to hang a tape drive or whatever from.

	Cheers,

	Matthew

                                                      Savill Way
                                                      Marlow