Date:      Sun, 20 Sep 1998 07:48:22 -0700
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
To:        Peter Wemm <peter@netplex.com.au>
Cc:        Timo Geusch <freebsd@timog.prestel.co.uk>, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: DEVFS & SLICE?

> I for one am rather pissed off about the removal of SLICE.
>
> In particular, it's crippled a critical part of devfs at mountroot time,
> although I'd argue that the parts that I'm most annoyed about the loss of
> should have really been part of the DEVFS option than part of "SLICE".
> The really sad part is that the existing geometry system isn't really up
> to the task of booting without a real /dev.  (ie: can't access /dev/da0s1a
> via devfs to mount root unless an access to /dev/da0s1 happens first)

Would it be possible to enhance DEVFS before release time to get back
just those elements of the-code-formerly-known-as-SLICE necessary to
make DEVFS itself useful again?  I personally don't use DEVFS nor
would I recommend it to the casual user (it's way too easy to crash
your system with it), but for those who really want to, it seems
worthwhile to try and make it at least minimally functional.

Of course, the real problem here (IMO) is that DEVFS has neither an
architect nor an owner.  It is another one of our orphaned children,
abandoned on FreeBSD's doorstep, and in order for it (or something
different calling itself by the same name) to really succeed in
FreeBSD, that's what really has to change first.  Any takers?  Hey,
where'd everybody go? :-)

- Jordan