Date:      Tue, 03 Apr 2001 20:50:54 -0700
From:      "Charles Burns" <burnscharlesn@hotmail.com>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Free web BBS software

Is there any good free BBS software out there? I have noticed that most
messageboards use Infopop's Ultimate Bulletin Board, which seems like a good
package but is several thousand dollars. O'Reilly's WebBoard is awful and
for some strange reason, available only for Windows (O'Reilly? Windows??)
and then there's one done in pure ASP that GameSpy uses, but with
Chilisoft's immaturity I wouldn't want to run that. (That and ASP under
Windows is flaky and unpredictable for some reason)
I was considering starting one up on SourceForge after spending a few months
getting good at PHP.
If I were to do this, what do the Unix gods here believe would be the best
language to do a BBS package in? PHP? Perl? I'd like to stick with one
language and would very much not like to use any Java. I would also like to
stick with interpreted languages because of the load time of compiled CGIs,
other than possibly for the search function which would likely just use
PostGreSQL or MySQL rather than internal stuff. (Fast search engines are a
pain... At least to me)

Thanks ahead of time for input