Date:      Wed, 2 Sep 1998 15:33:28 +0930
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>, Marc Nicholas <marc@hippocampus.net>
Cc:        freebsd-small@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Software RAID-5 (was: A little off topic...)

On Tuesday,  1 September 1998 at 17:18:53 +0000, Mike Smith wrote:
>> Sorry that this is a little off topic, but it does relate to a PicoBSD
>> project I'm working on :-)

Well, it would have been a good topic for FreeBSD-questions,
especially if the subject had mentioned what you really want to know.

>> Anyone know of a software RAID-5 solution for FreeBSD? Pref. something
>> that has source code under a BSD-style license...but commercial offerings
>> could be an option.
>>
>> Yes, I know I could use a hardware solution :-p But I need some more
>> flexibility and don't really want to write one from scratch.
>
> The first question is "why do you think you need RAID-5"?
>
> The second one is "why do you want it in software?"
>
> You might be able to license the Vinum RAID-5 module from Cybernet
> Systems when it's available; you should talk initially with Greg Lehey
> (grog@freebsd.org) about this to guage the likelihood of such a
> license being viable.

You might also like to check out http://www.lemis.com/vinum.html.

You'll have to pay Cybernet for RAID-5.  I don't know how much (I
suspect they don't, either), but they're Good Guys, and I don't think
it would be expensive.  If you want to beta test it, now's a good
time to ask (but it won't imply a license to use it after beta).  It
*does* imply a BSD-style license in 18 months, however.

Greg