Date:      Fri, 9 Jun 95 12:38:48 MDT
From:      terry@cs.weber.edu (Terry Lambert)
To:        esser@zpr.uni-koeln.de (Stefan Esser)
Cc:        sakr@itp.ac.ru, hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: problems with Compaq Prosignia 300

[ ... Compaq PCI box ... ]

> The NCR and generic PCI drivers in FreeBSD
> were written by a friend and me, so we
> should be able to work out a solution.
>
> If FreeBSD doesn't see the NCR controller,
> then there probably are some boot messages,
> that might help understand the problem.
>
> I need a complete log of all messages that
> deal with PCI (i.e. start with "pci0").
>
> You'll probably have to write down these
> messages, I'm afraid. (There are other
> possibilities, but they probably aren't
> worth the effort or they would require
> more hardware.)

According to someone who had this problem as well and discovered what
it was and posted to the list, the problem is that the Compaq is in
2.0 mode and FreeBSD only understands 1.x PCI.

Apparently, you can force it to 1.x mode, and this is what NetBSD has
that FreeBSD does not in this area.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@cs.weber.edu
---