Date:      Mon, 12 Aug 2019 14:17:35 -0500
From:      Justin Hibbits <chmeeedalf@gmail.com>
To:        Al <al@datazap.net>
Cc:        freebsd-ppc@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: progress and some questions X5000

On Mon, 12 Aug 2019 15:07:18 +0200
Al <al@datazap.net> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> After a very long time of trying different things, it is where the
> serial console does work. It seems that none of the serial-to-usb
> devices were fast enough to transfer data from the X5000's serial
> port.
>
> Still, I have some issues. The kernel can't seem to find the
> userland. It stops with DHCP/BOOTP. It looks like it is trying to do
> a netboot. I have an install of FreeBSD on a thumb drive. My guess is
> that I need to move the boot loader to the FAT partition. Is this
> correct?
>
> Also, I just did an install to the thumb drive from an X86 FreeBSD
> machine that I borrowed to compile the powerpc install. Would it be
> better to have the cdrom installer on the thumb drive?
>
> Kind Regards,
> Al

Hi Al,

I'll give a more thorough reply later, but for now I wanted to address
the kernel config.  The QORIQ64 config is based on MPC85XX config,
which assumes an always-netboot environment.  To remove this so that
you always boot locally, add the following to your kernel config:

nooptions BOOTP
nooptions BOOTP_NFSROOT

Also, we do have the ability to boot from loader, using ubldr.  The
instructions to do so are on the wiki, at
https://wiki.freebsd.org/powerpc/UBoot-Install

Basically you want two top-level partitions (The AmigaOne X5000 U-Boot
doesn't recognize GPT format, only MBR, so you're stuck with that
format).  One partition is FAT, and should have ubldr and the .dtb
file.  The other partition is a FreeBSD disklabel partition, where you
put your full FreeBSD install.  You cannot create it from x86 as an
actual install.  If you want to create the image from x86, you need to
use mkimg, and there are scripts around for building FreeBSD disklabel
images, you can find them online.

- Justin