Date:      Mon, 28 Feb 2000 15:12:33 PST
From:      Marc Frajola <marc@enginet.com>
To:        Doug White <dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: How to fdisk/disklabel whole disk for FreeBSD from command line?

> On Sat, 26 Feb 2000, Marc Frajola wrote:
>
> > Hi...
> >
> >     I have spent a bit of time messing around with the command-line
> > fdisk and disklabel commands, and have been unable to setup a proper
> > fdisk and FreeBSD partition label solely from the command line.
>
> Somebody didn't check the usual places! :)
>
> http://www.freebsd.org/tutorials/formatting-media/
>
> Also if you are on a recent (3.4?) -STABLE or -CURRENT you have the
> dangerous yet handy fdisk -e option.
>
> You will certainly want to steal my code from the 'install' PicoBSD
> floppy, which fdisk, disklabels, and newfs's the target disk
> automatically.
>
> Doug White                    |  FreeBSD: The Power to Serve
> dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu     |  www.FreeBSD.org

Doug,

    Thanks very much for the reply. I checked out the URL you gave
(http://www.freebsd.org/tutorials/formatting-media/), and unfortunately
I'm still wondering how to create one FreeBSD fdisk slice so that
disklabel can actually create partitions.

    The reason why I sent the message to freebsd-hackers was because
when I tried 'fdisk -e', it seems to assign a slice, BUT disklabel
gives an error like 'No space left on device' or some such thing after
running fdisk, making it obvious that the fdisk -e didn't work as I
thought it should.

    I'm guessing I need to include a different combination of fdisk
options or there's a bug.

    I will check out the 'install' PicoBSD floppy here shortly to
see if I can learn anything from that.

    If anybody knows right off what the sequence of commands (complete
with arguments) to fdisk and disklabel a new drive to make a
"compatiblity mode" bootable FreeBSD system slice (and make it active),
I'd appreciate hearing from you.

...Marc...