Date:      Sun, 19 Oct 1997 21:42:06 -0700
From:      John Polstra <jdp@polstra.com>
To:        cdillon@tri-lakes.net
Cc:        stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Making a release...

In article <XFMail.971019172757.cdillon@tri-lakes.net>,
Chris Dillon  <cdillon@tri-lakes.net> wrote:
> After I spent a while reading cvsup's manual
> page I found out all I had to do was remove the "tag" lines out of my
> cvsupfile to put it in CVS mode as opposed to CHECKOUT mode.

Yup, that's exactly right.

> By the way, ports-all and doc-all still have a tag of ".", can I remove
> this tag, or should it stay? (I vaguely remember hearing that something
> bad might happen if they got removed.)

The something bad you're remembering is probably if you try to set
the tag to something else, like RELENG_2_2.  That will promptly
delete your ports and docs, because they aren't tagged the same way
as the main source tree.

The "." tag is valid for all the collections that originally came
out of the CVS repository.  So the question is:  Do you want to ...

* Have the ports and docs in source form ==> keep the ``tag=.'', or

* Have the ports and docs in CVS repository form ==> get rid of the

Note, if you do decide to get rid of the tag clause, you will probably
want to also change your "prefix" setting to some other directory, so
that your CVS files don't get mixed together with your old text-form
sources.  The prefix for ports and docs should be the same one that
you set for your "src-*" collections in CVS form.  The standard prefix
is "/home/ncvs" but it doesn't really matter what you use.

John