Date:      Fri, 26 Jan 2001 10:35:09 -0500
From:      Will Andrews <will@physics.purdue.edu>
To:        Espen Skoglund <esk@ira.uka.de>
Cc:        Trevor Johnson <trevor@jpj.net>, Neil Blakey-Milner <nbm@mithrandr.moria.org>, Michael Collette <metrol@earthlink.net>, ports <ports@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Ports vs. Source updating

--vGgW1X5XWziG23Ko

On Fri, Jan 26, 2001 at 02:05:41PM +0100, Espen Skoglund wrote:
> This message actually tells you what to do.  The only gripe I have
> about it is that it might be better to mention the upgrade kit option
> _before_ make world.  Running the upgrade kit is after all
> considerably easier and less time consuming than a make world, and to
> make this even cleared one might consider to put ``or a fresh make
> world'' in parantheses.  (And of course, someone should point out on
> the referenced web page that the 4.1 upgrade kit also works for
> 4.2-RELEASE).

Except that it's not required for 4.2-RELEASE, because the binary part
of the commit (pkg_* -o) was done October 31, although RELENG_3 didn't
get the update until December.  And when I downloaded a copy of
41upgrade.tgz it appears to be missing any port.mkversion upgrades.. so
it seems that even if your world is uptodate enough, your pkg_* files
still get overwritten.  That is most certainly a bug.

Grrr.. this bootstrapping crap should be fixed The Right Way (tm).

--=20
wca

--vGgW1X5XWziG23Ko

--vGgW1X5XWziG23Ko--