Date:      Wed, 31 Jan 2001 14:04:17 -0600
From:      Dan Nelson <dnelson@emsphone.com>
To:        Seigo Tanimura <tanimura@r.dl.itc.u-tokyo.ac.jp>
Cc:        arch@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Bumping up {MAX,DFLT}*PHYS (was Re: Bumping up {MAX,DFL}*SIZ in i386)

In the last episode (Jan 31), Seigo Tanimura said:
> Now that even an entry-model workstation can equip memory up to 1GB
> or more, MAXDSIZ and DFLDSIZ should be increased so that a process
> can make use of large memory. On the other hand, MAXDSIZ is also
> likely to hit VM_MAXUSER_ADDRESS, which is generally 3GB and may be
> 2GB if the size of KVM is expanded to the maximum. MAXDSIZ should
> thus not exceed 2GB.

On a similar note, is there any reason for us to have DFLTPHYS at 64k
anymore?  With the insane interface speeds of SCSI and ATA devices
nowadays, you can easily hit 600 I/Os per second on sequential reads
(40MB/sec, 64K per I/O).  Would anything break if MAXPHYS/DFLTPHYS was
bumped to say, 1mb?

--
	Dan Nelson
	dnelson@emsphone.com