Date:      Wed, 8 Sep 2004 23:20:44 -0400
From:      Blake Meike <blakem@world.std.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Trouble with NICs

Hi,
   I'm trying to switch to FreeBSD, from years of Linux.  I have a  5k
with an Adaptec RAID card that has run Linux fine, in the past.  I'm
still having some trouble getting it to run FreeBSD.  After having
difficulty with a couple of 5.x kernels, and getting advice here to
back off to 4.10, I've got most things working.  I'm booting a custom
kernel, but the problem is the same with GENERIC.

   ... ant the problem is that neither of the two E'net interfaces (one
on the motherboard, one a separate card) comes up.  I can get either,
sometimes both, to come up if I fiddle around with ifconfig for a
while, but I'm sorry to say that I don't have a reproducable sequence
that always works: perhaps something to do with the "media" argument.
I've tried fiddling with rc.config, trying to bring up one interface
and not the other, include the media argument, and a couple things like
that.  Basically, I'm floundering.

   At some point, looking through the various documentation I noticed
that several of my IRQs overlap.  Looking at the kernel config file,
though, I see that some devices specify an IRQ and some don't.  Booting
/kernel -c tells me that there are no network devices of any kind,
enabled or disabled, so I can't experiment with re-assigning IRQs, to
find out if this whole thing is a red herring.

rc.config and dmesg enclosed, fwiw.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
   Blake Meike