Date:      Sat, 24 Feb 1996 13:10:53 -0800 (PST)
From:      Dave Walton <dwalton@psiint.com>
To:        Christoph Kukulies <kuku@gilberto.physik.rwth-aachen.de>
Cc:        Clary Harridge <clary@s4.elec.uq.edu.au>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Honeywell 3 button mouse

On Fri, 23 Feb 1996, Christoph P. Kukulies wrote:

> > I am trying to use a Honywell 3 button mouse for FreeBSD 2.1-STABLE.
> >
> > Honywell Model No 3HW53-2E.
>
> I never heard about that type of mouse. What is so interesting about that
> type of mouse that it prevents you from buying a 15.00 bucks OEM mouse
> speaking todays mouse protocols?

What's interesting about it is the "New, patented X-Y axially-inclined
optical encoder technology" and "The unique patented design of the
Honeywell Mouse allows it to work on any surface at any angle - no
special pad needed!"

If you dig through that marketing hype, you get this:  It's a
high-resolution mechanical mouse that doesn't use a ball.  That means
that it doesn't need a special pad like an optical mouse, but it never
ever ever needs cleaning like a ball mouse.  Quite simply, it's the best
mouse mechanism I've ever run across.

> If that mouse works under Windows there might be a chance that it
> understands the protocol option "MicroSoft". But from the name
> 'Honeywell' I guess it is a pre-PC times model.

Nope.  I got mine in '92.  As for protocols, it speaks "Honeywell".  But,
as I explained to the person asking this question, it's possible to tweak
the mouse to make it speak "Mouse Systems".

> If you particularly like the ergonomics of that  mouse you might
> also try to exchange the innards by means of some hardware hackery.

Like I said above, it's the innards, not the ergonomics, that make the
mouse so special.  This particular model was discontinued a few years ago
when Keytronic bought the Honeywell Keyboard Division, but last fall
Keytronic released a new mouse that uses the Honeywell technology.  If
you call them at (800)262-6006, they can tell you the model number and
where to find it.

Dave

David Walton                                     Programmer
PSI INTERNATIONAL, Inc.                          email: dwalton@psiint.com
190 South Orchard #C200                          Fax  :(707)451-6484
Vacaville, CA 95688                              Phone:(707)451-3503