Date:      Wed, 18 Aug 1999 00:15:59 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Bruce Albrecht <bruce@zuhause.mn.org>
To:        Henry Miller <hank@black-hole.com>
Cc:        emulation@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-smp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: wine and SMP

Henry Miller writes:
 > > It's bad enough that I have to recompile the kernel to support Wine, but
 > > not supporting Wine on current hardware with official releases is really
 > > a bad thing[TM].
 >
 > Very bad.  Make it a configureable option if it isn't stable enough to
 > general use, wine users have to compile kernels anyway, so we can do this.

The problem is that there were changes put in place back in March (I
think) that fixed a number of problems, but as part of the fix, had to
disable fork with shared memory for SMP.  This was later fixed in
current, but the developer who fixed it never wrote a back-port to
-stable.  Like all volunteer projects, if you're willing to track this
down, back-port and test it, it will probably get added to -stable if
you can get a champion among the committers to work with you on it (at
least for testing).

Even though SMP is supported in -stable, you must recognize that it's
a fairly weak implementation.  For the most part, there's only one
kernel lock, so in general, you can't have more than one CPU doing
kernel stuff, even though the two kernel requests (for example, two
separate disk controllers, or two NICs) are independent of each other.
There's no processor affinity.  A threaded process can't have multiple
threads running simultaneously on multiple CPUs.  I'm sure there are
other deficiencies I've left out.

 > Point is, I can do that, but since I'm not a devolper it is against the
 > spirit of -current for me to do so.  (not to mention I then have to
 > figgure out how to upgrade from -stable to -current)

This is only partly true.  You don't have to rebuild -current on a
daily basis, you could just pick a -current snap, install it, and not
upgrade until you're comfortable with upgrading again.  It's not
recommended to run -current on a production machine, but chances are,
if you're running Wine, it's not a production machine.  If you have
problems with -current, you're expected to know enough to be able to
provide a coherent description of the problem, and be able to get
traces and/or dumps.

If you pick a snapshot at a time where there's not a lot of new code
being added, chances are you'll not have any problems.  I'm running
-current from about July 30th, and I've not encountered any problems
with the system.  I'm also having problems with Wine, but I haven't
taken the time to track it down, or even if it's SMP related.