Date:      Tue, 20 Jan 1998 21:04:27 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        grog@lemis.com (Greg Lehey)
Cc:        tlambert@primenet.com, jkh@time.cdrom.com, daniel_sobral@voga.com.br, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Device Driver

> > I think there should be a console message about "type xxx to enter the
> > kernel debugger" when the kernel debugger has been enabled.  This is
> > better than a man page documentation, since the hotkey can be changed,
> > and the only accurate information there is must be obtained from the
> > kernel data segment.
>
> That's a great idea.  While we're at it, how about messages about what
> key combinations to use for switching VTs?  And what key combinations
> to use to erase a character, send a SIGTERM, kill a line.  Yes, I know
> that this often appears, but it's in a format that's confusing for a
> lot of people.

Now you are being silly.  If something which is not normally compiled
in by default is compiled in, it should announce itself.  Just like
devices announce themselves.

Alternately, using your reductio ad absurdum argument, you should get
rid of probe announce messages, since users should know what hardware
they own.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---