Date:      Mon, 25 Oct 1999 02:18:00 -0600
From:      Warner Losh <imp@village.org>
To:        mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   Time to begin: Plans for pccard/cardbus

OK.  Now that I think I mostly have the current pccard to a state I no
longer have to look at it all the time, it is time to move forward.
Much of this was talked about at FreeBSD CON '99, and now it is time
to bring it out into the open for those that don't already know.

The plans are simple at this point.  I'll use the newconfig pccard and
cardbus code from the Japanese newconfig effort.  I'm going to port
that code to -current.  I'm looking for help and commentary in this
effort.  This is a completely kernel based implementation that I've
found to work ok in my testing.  It seemed to be similar enough to the
NetBSD code that it would be easier to start from newconfig than
netbsd in this area since newconfig already works in earlier versions
of the kernel.

The main bridge code and bus code will be a port to newbus.  I got
bogged down a few months ago trying to port it using newconfig shims
to try to have as few changes as possible.  I still intend to provide
newconfig shims for pccard and cardbus attachments, but I think it is
too hard to use them for the core of these busses.

I plan on importing the raw sources to dev/pccard (which is called
dev/pcmcia in newconfig) and dev/cardbus as well as a few of the
bridge chip drivers.  Once in place, I plan on making them compile and
work in a newbus world.  I plan on making commits every few days as I
have time to work on this project.  Others wishing to participate in
the development process are encouraged to get the latest sources and
send me patches (or commit fixes if so inclined).  I intend for this
to be an inclusive process, and would welcome relevant discussions on
directions and such.

One major design goal is the ability to co-exist with the current
sys/pccard code in the tree.  This will allow the new code to mature
while having a more stable version for non-developer use.

Comments?

Warner