Date:      Wed, 13 Apr 2011 18:49:26 +0200
From:      Bernhard Froehlich <decke@bluelife.at>
To:        Bob Bishop <rb@gid.co.uk>
Cc:        emulation@freebsd.org, ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Future direction of virtualbox-ose port on FreeBSD

On Wed, 13 Apr 2011 13:24:09 +0100, Bob Bishop wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On 13 Apr 2011, at 12:38, Bernhard Froehlich wrote:
>
>> Hi VirtualBox users.
>>
>> I'm sending this because there are a few problems in how we currently
>> maintain the emulators/virtualbox-ose ports on FreeBSD. [etc]
>
> A question: woud there be any advantage in separating out the kernel
> module from the rest of it? Just asking, because I have no idea about
> the stability of the components and interfaces.

You mean a separate port for the kernel module? Yes,
emulators/virtualbox-ose-kmod is exactly that. Sorry if I was not clear
enough but everyone will be able to use the binary packages but if he
has a STABLE kernel he will have to compile the corresponding -kmod port
nevertheless. Using old kernel modules with newer VirtualBox versions is
not supported (especially not between major versions which we are
talking about here).

--
Bernhard Fröhlich
http://www.bluelife.at/