Date:      Wed, 28 Mar 2007 20:34:00 -0400
From:      "Michael P. Soulier" <msoulier@digitaltorque.ca>
To:        Kevin Kinsey <kdk@daleco.biz>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org, Jeffrey Goldberg <jeffrey@goldmark.org>
Subject:   Re: the art of pkgdb -F

--lBqJz4CGKwlWe7/k

On 28/03/07 Kevin Kinsey said:

> Here is a time-honored and rather canonical diatribe on "The Art of=20
> Pkgdb -F" (a great thread title, BTW).  Note also that it is nearly
> six years old, and that additional package-management tools have been
> proposed, created, and released to the public, and some may have already
> been EOL'ed and buried, but the rest of them aren't considered "standard"=
=20
> by any means, and currently the FreeBSD world is in a pseudo-Biblical
> "every man did as he saw fit" state these days[1].
>=20
>   http://www.onlamp.com/pub/a/bsd/2001/11/29/Big_Scary_Daemons.html

I suppose I'm curious as to how my ports got into this state in the first
place, since I would have expected a package managements system to have
prevented it.=20

Now, I've been upgrading ports via

portupgrade -R <port>

as suggested in the handbook. As -R upgrades only those packages that requi=
re
those supplied, and not those that it requires, would that cause it?

I'm wondering how my port dependencies became broken in the first place.

Mike
--=20
Michael P. Soulier <msoulier@digitaltorque.ca>
direction." --Albert Einstein