Date:      Mon, 17 Oct 2005 23:32:52 +0200
From:      Wilko Bulte <wb@freebie.xs4all.nl>
To:        Mike Jakubik <mikej@rogers.com>
Cc:        stable@freebsd.org, Will Saxon <WillS@housing.ufl.edu>, Ronald Klop <ronald-freebsd8@klop.yi.org>
Subject:   Re: Disk 100% busy

On Mon, Oct 17, 2005 at 05:21:10PM -0400, Mike Jakubik wrote..
> On Sun, October 16, 2005 1:53 pm, Will Saxon wrote:
>
> > I completely forgot that I had the partition mounted 'sync'. That might
> > explain things a bit, huh.
>
> Do NOT mount the partition async, you are asking for filesystem corruption.

async is the other extreme end of the spectrum from sync..

async   All I/O to the file system should be done asynchronously.
                     This is a dangerous flag to set, and should not be used
                     unless you are prepared to recreate the file system
                     should your system crash.

noasync
                     Metadata I/O should be done synchronously, while data I/O
                     should be done asynchronously.  This is the default.

sync    	     All I/O to the file system should be done synchronously.

--
Wilko Bulte				wilko@FreeBSD.org