Date:      Sun, 3 Mar 2002 23:21:53 +0100
From:      Jesper Skriver <jesper@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Jake Burkholder <jake@locore.ca>
Cc:        freebsd-sparc@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: freebsd/sparc64 bootable iso available

On Sun, Mar 03, 2002 at 05:15:00PM -0500, Jake Burkholder wrote:
> Apparently, On Sun, Mar 03, 2002 at 11:06:53PM +0100,
> 	Jesper Skriver said words to the effect of;
>
> > On Sun, Mar 03, 2002 at 06:04:53AM -0500, Jake Burkholder wrote:
> > >
> > > I've put up a bootable ISO image, which can be used to install a system
> > > relatively easily.  I've tested it on an ultra 10 with the onboard ide
> > > and an ultra 60 with sym scsi, should also work on ultra 5s and blade 100s
> > > at least.  The cd boots multi user and has a binary distribution tarball
> > > on it; you can use system on the cd to install on disk.  The root password
> > > is abc123.
> > >
> > > Use the tools on the cd to label, install the bootblock, and newfs your
> > > drive, then mount your partitions and untar the tarball in root's home
> > > directory on them.  I put up a transcript of an install on an ultra 60.
> > > When labeling your drive be sure that the partitions are on cylinder
> > > boundaries, the disklabel format requires it.  Insert usual warnings
> > > about experimental software and destruction of data.
> > >
> > > http://people.freebsd.org/~jake/sparc64
> >
> > Nice, it works perfect on my 400 MHz Ultra5
> >
> > But it panics instantly when trying to start ntpd
>
> It should drop into ddb in that case, right?  Can you provide a traceback?

Yes, that should have been in that email, but I by mistake sent
it too quickly, I was trying to figure out how to load the
symbol file.

bar# ntpd
bar# Mar  3 23:20:17 bar ntpd[205]: ntpd 4.1.0-a Sat Mar  2 15:49:31 EST 2002 (1)
Debugger("trapsig")
Stopped at      Debugger+0x1c:  ta              %xcc, 1
db> trace
trap() at trap+0x4d8
-- fast data access mmu miss tar=0x2f14 --
userland() at 0x40510d5c
user trace: trap %o7 (leaf return) is 0x10e5bc
pc 0x40510d5c, sp 0x7fdffffee01
pc 0x10d388, sp 0x7fdffffeed1
pc 0x11c858, sp 0x7fdffffefa1
pc 0x11c520, sp 0x7fdfffff181
pc 0x1022f0, sp 0x7fdfffff241
pc 0x4023bda4, sp 0x7fdfffff301
done

An other thing, is this build from the code present in -current, or it
it p4 I need to track ?

/Jesper

Work:    Network manager   @ AS3292 (Tele Danmark DataNetworks)
Private: FreeBSD committer @ AS2109 (A much smaller network ;-)