Date:      Mon, 10 Feb 2014 11:59:12 -0500
From:      Stephen Guglielmo <srguglielmo@gmail.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Python33 on 10.0 Troubles

Hi list,

I just recently upgraded from 9.1 to 10.0, and also from pkg_* to pkgNG.
It's all gone successfully, as far as I can tell.

I have python 3.3.3 installed (no other version). However, whenever I run
it, I get the following output:

----
~> python --version
Python 3.3.3
~> python
Could not find platform independent libraries <prefix>
Could not find platform dependent libraries <exec_prefix>
Consider setting $PYTHONHOME to <prefix>[:<exec_prefix>]
Fatal Python error: Py_Initialize: Unable to get the locale encoding
ImportError: No module named 'encodings'
Abort
Exit 134
~> locale
LANG=en_US.US-ASCII
LC_CTYPE="en_US.US-ASCII"
LC_COLLATE="en_US.US-ASCII"
LC_TIME="en_US.US-ASCII"
LC_NUMERIC="en_US.US-ASCII"
LC_MONETARY="en_US.US-ASCII"
LC_MESSAGES="en_US.US-ASCII"
LC_ALL=
----

I did re-install python after upgrading the OS and switching to pkgNG. I
also reinstalled some ports that use python as well, but they all fail
because python itself is failing.

I do have WITHOUT_NLS and WITHOUT_NLS_CATALOGS defined in my src.conf.
Maybe python relies on these for some sort of locale support?

Any suggestions would be great! Thank you!