Date:      Wed, 19 May 2004 11:16:01 -0700
From:      Kent Stewart <kstewart@owt.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Cc:        "freebsd-questions@freebsd.org" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: permissions

On Wednesday 19 May 2004 11:05 am, arden wrote:
> hi all
>
> i only have two users on my bsd box me as a standard user and root
>
> the prob ive got at the mo is that only root can mount my cd drive
> how do i halter its permissions so standard user can use it
>
> on a similar vain on my linux boxes i can su root but i get a message
> saying "sorry" is this a bsd thing ?

It sounds like you may need to add your personal user name to the wheel
group in /etc/group. You don't "su root" but just "su". I have never
worried about mounting a CD-ROM from the user because I usually have a
console session running as root.

I use "su -" to switch to root because that invokes the root
environment.

Kent

--
Kent Stewart