Date:      Mon, 13 Sep 2004 19:33:13 -0500
From:      Vulpes Velox <v.velox@vvelox.net>
To:        Bob Ababurko <ababurko@adelphia.net>
Cc:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: configuration of ports

On Mon, 13 Sep 2004 20:12:13 -0400
Bob Ababurko <ababurko@adelphia.net> wrote:

> Hello-
>
>    I am sure that this must have been asked, so along with my
>    question, I
> need to know if there is an archive of the ports collection and if
> so, where can I find it.
>    Ok, I am really liking the ports collection, being new to freeBSD
>    and
> all.  But the one thing that gets in the way is my lack of knowledge
> in being able to configure the installations....either  with
> .configure config files or with compiler switches.  Can someone lead
> me to a resource that can help me understand how to configure my
> applications so that I can tweak my ports during installation?

You may want to check out /etc/defaults/make.conf. Just cp that file
to /etc/make.conf. That file is nicely documented in both man and the
file it's self.

The ports take car of running ./configure it's self.

I would suggest reading man ports. It has a lot of nice info in it.
The porters handbook may help shed lights on some things?

If you want a nice example to look out check out multimedia/mplayer.
It has a nice example of all three types of ports base configing there
is... Some will bring up a ncurses menu of options, some will display
some for a bit before compiling and ect, and then others will have
ones not shown in the make file. Install mplayer and more the Makefile
:)