Date:      Sun, 1 Jul 2001 13:05:12 -0400
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        FreeBSD advocacy list <FreeBSD-advocacy@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   dmr on Linux and FreeBSD

USENIX is just winding down, and while waiting to leave for the
airport I browsed through an interview with Dennis Ritchie in the June
issue of Linux Magazine.  One part caught my attention:

LM:  Have you ever looked at the Linux source code?

dmr: I haven't looked in a lot of detail.  A year and a half ago or
     so, we ported Inferno to it, and it was somewhat of a pain.
     Somebody discovered a driver--I guess--some place in the kernel
     that had some extremely stupid thing going on.  It was about then
     that Ken gave some interview, and he remarked that he didn't
     think very much of the quality of the code.

LM:  Did you agree with him?

dmr: Well, I haven't really looked at the code, so I really have
     nothing to say except that [Ken] got enormous amounts of hate
     mail for being quoted.  Of course the quote was really out of
     context in any event.  So not only do I want to avoid that, but I
     also really had nothing to base this on one way or the other.
     One thing I do see is that locally--within a 45 second radius of
     my office, as opposed to other parts of Lucent--people have
     picked up on FreeBSD.  I'm not sure exactly why.  There are pleny
     of Linux fans in Lucent, even though there's a fair amount of
     corporate pressure to use Windows.

(end of quote)

I'm not trying to read anything into this quote that isn't there, and
it's clear that dmr is trying to avoid upsetting anybody.  Still, it's
interesting that he mentions FreeBSD exactly in that context.

Greg