Date:      Sun, 17 Mar 2002 21:16:11 +0100
From:      Mathieu Arnold <mat@mat.cc>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   ppp problem

Hi

I currently use a linux box to establish a vpn. I do :

$ cat maketunnel
MYTTY=`/usr/sbin/pty-redir /usr/bin/ssh -C -c none vpn@<srvip>`
/usr/bin/sudo /home/vpn/Smaketunnel $MYTTY

pty-redir is a small program which emulates a tty.

$ cat Smaketunnel
/usr/sbin/pppd $1 noauth nodetach local 10.0.5.10:10.0.5.1

and on the server,

the vpn user has a script shell as login shell :
$ cat tunnel
/usr/bin/sudo /usr/sbin/pppd passive noauth

it works great :)

now, I want to switch my home box to freebsd, so I read the sample conf
file and did :
$ cat /etc/ppp/ppp.conf
default:

vpn:
 set timeout 0
 set log phase chat connect lcp ipcp command
 set dial
 set login
 set ifaddr 10.0.5.2 10.0.5.1
 set server /var/run/ppp/loop "" 0177
 # Passive mode allows ssh plenty of time to establish the connection
 set openmode passive
 set device "!ssh vpn@<srvip>"

then, I launch :
$ ppp -foreground ppp
Working in foreground mode
Using interface: tun0

sshd[18096]: connection from "<my ip>"
sshd[22199]: User vpn, coming from <my fqdn>, authenticated.
sudo: vpn : TTY=unknown ; PWD=/home/vpn ; USER=root ;
COMMAND=/usr/sbin/pppd passive noauth
pppd[22203]: no device specified and stdin is not a tty

how could I do to have the thing I have with my linux vpn :

sudo:   vpn : TTY=pts/1 ; PWD=/home/vpn ; USER=root ;
COMMAND=/usr/sbin/pppd passive noauth
pppd[10943]: pppd 2.3.8 started by vpn, uid 0

I believe there is some way to have freebsd's ppp to emulate a tty, but I
can't find out :)

--
Mathieu Arnold