Date:      Sun, 02 Mar 2003 14:25:55 -0700
From:      Scott Long <scott_long@btc.adaptec.com>
To:        Marcel Moolenaar <marcel@xcllnt.net>
Cc:        Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@phk.freebsd.dk>, current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: HEADSUP:  Driver mega-commit ahead.

Marcel Moolenaar wrote:
> On Sun, Mar 02, 2003 at 09:14:13PM +0100, Poul-Henning Kamp wrote:
>
>>I plan to commit
>>	http://phk.freebsd.dk/patch/cdevsw.patch
>>one of the first days of the week.
>>
>>Basically, it changes cdevsw initializations to use C99 sparse
>>format, and thereby eliminates 859 lines of redundant defaultvalue
>>initializations.
>

> I thought HEAD was in a slush mode. des' sweep and this sweep seems
> like the kind of changes we don't want at this time. Has this changed
> or did re@ approve it (both cases)?

RE@ had in principal agreed with this work, since it will make 5-STABLE
and 6-CURRENT more compatible.  PHK should probably have noted this in
the commit message.  As for DES, it's been discussed quite a bit on
arch@.  We probably should have been more vocal about it, but once again
it's good to have it in before 5-STABLE.
5.0 seems to have been the catalyst needed to get things moving again.
It went much better than expected, and is giving people a benchmark for
what still needs to be done.  To that end, 5.1 will probably be quite
different from 5.0.  If the differences between 5.1 and 5.2 aren't as
drastic and widespread, then that should be a good indication that we
are ready for 5-STABLE.
Please remember that re@ should be kept in the loop when you plan to
make large changes.  Things seem to be going pretty smoothly right
now, so please don't let them get out of hand.

Scott