Date:      Mon, 27 Dec 1999 10:36:52 +0100
From:      "Berend de Boer" <berend@pobox.com>
To:        "'Marc G. Fournier'" <scrappy@hub.org>
Cc:        <freebsd-database@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: What database i can use?

> JOIN statement?  I take it that this is different then:
>
> SELECT a.field1, b.field2 from table1 a, table2 b where a.key = b.key

ANSI92 supports the far better readable JOIN statement:

select a.field1, b.field2
  from table1 a
  join table2 b on
    a.key = b.key

Left outer joins are now easy to:

select a.field1, b.field2
  from table1 a
  left outer join table2 b on
    a.key = b.key

It generally parses and optimizes faster too. For MS SQL Server I've seen
improvements of up to 75% percent: execution time was the same, but the plan
was calculated much faster.

Groetjes,

Berend. (-: