Date:      Thu, 10 Oct 1996 11:17:21 +0100 (MET)
From:      Luigi Rizzo <luigi@labinfo.iet.unipi.it>
To:        jkh@time.cdrom.com (Jordan K. Hubbard)
Cc:        hasty@rah.star-gate.com, CSP1DWD@MVS.OAC.UCLA.EDU, multimedia@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: When is the new sound code being committed?

> Because Hannu would like to allocate some 64K of contiguous DMA space
> (if memory serves me correctly - it might be only 16K) and FreeBSD
> doesn't allow that once the system is up to the stage where an LKM
> would be loaded.  We've talked to John Dyson about it and he's
> promised to try and work something out, though the problem is also not
> entirely trivial to fix, apparently.

a similar problem (get a large contiguous chunk of RAM) exists in the
meteor driver. There, allocation is done at probe time. Of course
this does not help if you want to build the driver as an LKM, but
perhaps one could use a simple hack while a better solution appears:

if the kernel is expected to use this Sound Module as an LKM, put
apart the required amount of memory early in the boot process, and
serve memory requests from the sound driver from there.

	Luigi
Luigi Rizzo                     Dip. di Ingegneria dell'Informazione
email: luigi@iet.unipi.it       Universita' di Pisa
tel: +39-50-568533              via Diotisalvi 2, 56126 PISA (Italy)
fax: +39-50-568522              http://www.iet.unipi.it/~luigi/