Date:      03 May 2002 11:59:48 +0400
From:      "Vladimir B. " Grebenschikov <vova@sw.ru>
To:        fs@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Filesystem

=F7 Thu, 02.05.2002, =D7 19:25, Zhihui Zhang =CE=C1=D0=C9=D3=C1=CC:
=20
> You can create as many entries as you want in a directory. =20

It is true only for files.

But original question was about subdirectories.

Actually there are limit on number of hardlinks for file(or dirs) and
this limit about 32k

Each subdirectory hardlinks it's '..' to parent directory so, you can't
create more then 32k subdirectories (it is true for 3.x)
but I don't know how with this problem on -STABLE and -CURRENT ?

Anybody knows ?
=20
> -Zhihui
>=20
> On Thu, 2 May 2002, [iso-8859-1] Anna M Ruthstr=F6m wrote:
>=20
> > Hello,
> >=20
> > Im sing bsd 3.4 on my current system.
> > Is there any limitation of how many directorys you can have in one
> > directory, and if so can this parameter be changed? I heard something a=
but
> > 32 676 directorys in a directory, is this true?
> >=20
> > Thanx alot!
> >=20
> > / Reg. Anna
> >=20
> >=20
> > with "unsubscribe freebsd-fs" in the body of the message
> >=20
>=20
>=20
> with "unsubscribe freebsd-fs" in the body of the message
>=20
--=20
Vladimir B. Grebenschikov
vova@sw.ru   SWsoft