Date:      Sun, 28 Jun 2009 14:57:07 +0100
From:      Matthew Seaman <m.seaman@infracaninophile.co.uk>
To:        Ian <no-spam@people.net.au>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: named startup problems upgrading from 7.1p4 to 7.1p5 or 7.1p6

--------------enig46E8FCAA84BAB240F8264431

Ian wrote:

> Well the fact that if I run  /etc/rc.d/named manually after the system =
has=20
> booted, the script also hangs suggests it's not the next process
> I have just check however & ntpdate is the next one in the list to be s=
tarted=20
> and that does start correctly - you can see it report the clock being=20
> adjusted. Also, when you do a Ctrl+C to break the named script on bootu=
p, it=20
> says "Script /etc/rc.d/named interrupted".
>=20
> Something I've just realised is that named stays loaded even when you '=
break'=20
> the script. on bootup and DNS lookups work (I didn't think that was the=
 case=20
> originally, but it is).

Hmmm....=20

Anything interesting from named in the system logs?  You might want to
enable /var/log/all.log by following the instructions in /etc/syslog.conf=

and then see what output you get by bouncing named.  It's usually pretty
good at pointing out exactly what it thinks the problem is.

You could also try running:

   # /bin/sh -x /etc/rc.d/named start

-- make sure named isn't running when you do that.  There will be quite
a lot of output as the rc system loads all of the various config files,
but you should be able to trace exactly where it's got to when it does ha=
ng.

You're using the system-supplied copy of bind aren't you?  Have you got
a valid /etc/named/rndc.conf or /etc/named/rndc.key file so you can use
rndc(8)?  If not, try running:

    # rndc-confgen > /etc/namedb/rndc.conf

and then cut'n'paste the indicated key and controls statements from that
file into named.conf, stripping out the comment characters as you do (of =
course).

If you're using one of the ports versions of named, do exactly the same
thing, but copy or link rndc.conf into /usr/local/etc/ as well.

	Cheers,

	Matthew

--=20
                                                  Flat 3