Date:      Tue, 13 Jul 1999 23:56:10 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Frank Tobin <ftobin@uiuc.edu>
To:        security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Module magic

Frank Tobin, at 12:53 on Tue, 13 Jul 1999, wrote:

> However, it seems, the XFree86 wants to open kmem or mem only on startup;
> one can start xdm and have it running fine with a functional securelevel.
> The only problem arises if one needs to do a server reset with
> Ctrl-Alt-Backspace.

Erm, I'd like to correct this before anyone gets confused.  I meant to say
that in order to get xdm (followed by x session) to work correctly with a
securelevel > 0, one needs to start xdm, and _then_ raise the securelevel.
This worked fine for me, anyways.  Really caused me a lot of confusion,
though, the first time the machine rebooted.  I couldn't figure out why
X was bombing upon startup; it was because the securelevel was being
raised before X was starting.

--
Frank Tobin		      "To learn what is good and what is to be
www.neverending.org/~ftobin    valued, those truths which cannot be

PGPenvelope = GPG and PGP5 + Pine	    PGP:  4F86 3BBB A816 6F0A 340F
www.neverending.org/~ftobin/resources.html        6003 56FF D10A 260C 4FA3