Date:      Sun, 4 Feb 2001 10:48:46 -0800 (PST)
From:      John Polstra <TrimYourCc@polstra.com>
To:        ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: HEADS UP: some attics coming back...

In article <200102040434.f144Y3t01970@mobile.wemm.org>, Peter Wemm
<peter@netplex.com.au> wrote:

> I will be restoring some Attic files that existed with the
> RELEASE_4_2 tags.  People are using cvsup to try and update 4.2-R CD
> ports trees and cvsup is failing to delete old patches.

CVSup is "failing" only in the sense that some people aren't using it
properly.  It _will_ reliably delete old patches if it thinks they
belong to it.  See:

    http://www.polstra.com/projects/freeware/CVSup/faq.html#caniadopt

as well as the two questions following it in the CVSup FAQ.

Trust me, if CVSup deleted "extra" files that didn't explicitly belong
to it, you wouldn't like that either.  Do you value your kernel config
files? ;-)

For those who didn't follow the procedures above and who think they
might have some orphaned files in their trees, the standard CVSup
distribution contains a script called "cvsupchk" which will clean
things up.  It is in the directory "contrib/cvsupchk".  Maybe one of
you should make a port out of it (*hint hint, nudge nudge*). :-)

John