Date:      Wed, 6 Dec 2000 09:36:33 -0600
From:      Dan Nelson <dnelson@emsphone.com>
To:        Chris Byrnes <chris@awww.jeah.net>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Process wont be killed.

In the last episode (Dec 06), Chris Byrnes said:
> chris         27194  0.0  0.0     0    0  p1- IEs   7:57PM   0:00.08 -bash (bash)
>
> I can't kill this process, even as root.  Any idea how to fix the
> problem?

Processes in the "E" state mean that they are "Exiting", which means
the kernel is trying to free up the processes resources.  To find out
exactly what's holding things up, run "ps lp 27194", and take a look at
the WCHAN column.  Most of the time it'll be waiting on "ttywai", which
means someone hit ^S on that vty, blocking output.

--
	Dan Nelson
	dnelson@emsphone.com