Date:      Sun, 01 Mar 1998 16:05:19 -0800
From:      Ludwig Pummer <ludwigp@bigfoot.com>
To:        Cliff Roman <white@wavetech.net>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD

At 01:53 PM 3/1/98 -0600, Cliff Roman wrote:

>First off... is DIP the program I even want to use for my dialup?
I don't have any experience with DIP, but I'm guessing its not what you
want. Use user-PPP (aka iij-ppp) or kernel ppp (no experience with this)
for dialup PPP connections. The handbook describes how to set this up, as
does the PPP man page, as does the Pedantic PPP tutorial
(http://www.freebsd.org/tutorials).

>Second... where does it put itself so that I can add it to my path?
Looking into the makefile should show an install path. Or you can do a find
/ -name dip to find its location. In any case, it should automatically be
in your path. I've found logging out and loggin in again is required for a
new program in the path to run.

>P.S. One other quick question.. whenever I MAKE INSTALL a port.. after it
>is done, it always comes
>back and says something like "is already installed", it looks like it is
>trying to do it 2x.. any idea why?

no clue here.

--Ludwig Pummer
ludwigp@bigfoot.com   ICQ UIN: 692441   http://chipweb.home.ml.org