Date:      Sun, 2 Jan 2005 11:36:27 +0100
From:      "Jorn Argelo" <jorn@wcborstel.nl>
To:        "Loren M. Lang" <lorenl@alzatex.com>, Weehamama@aol.com
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Does freeBSD have CORBA specs and does it have J2sdk1.4.2 ?

On Sun, 2 Jan 2005 02:25:38 -0800, Loren M. Lang wrote
> On Sun, Dec 26, 2004 at 08:31:35PM -0500, Weehamama@aol.com wrote:
> > I have been told it does have both already, but  I can't find it in any of
> > documentations.  I'm specifically talking about  freebsd on emulab.net.
>
> Yes, freebsd has had both corba and sun java for a long time.  corba
> is needed by the gnome desktop which is very well supported on
> freebsd plus many gnome app even if you don't use the gnome desktop.
>  Your pretty much guaranteed that freebsd will have corba already
> installed and running because of this.  It uses ORBit, the same
> implementation used on linux and so all the same docs apply to
> freebsd, just check out orbits website.
>
> For java, freebsd can use ibm or sun's java implementation.  ibm runs
> under linux emulation and sun can run under linux emulation or natively.
> There are also a few open source jvm's like kaffe available.

Also, you have the blackdown-java project. AFAIK it's open source as well, and
it uses the Linux compatibility.

Last time I compiled Java you required a working Java enviroment before you
were able to compile Sun's Java implementation. Might be handy to keep that in
mind.

Cheers,

Jorn