Date:      Sat, 10 Dec 2005 00:56:55 -0800
From:      Doug Barton <dougb@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Brooks Davis <brooks@one-eyed-alien.net>
Cc:        freebsd-rc@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: For Review: Latest update to rcorder patch

Brooks Davis wrote:

> Instead of talking about diskless systems I'd talk about having remote
> file systems in ${local_startup}

Ok, how's this:

+The early stage should contain all the services needed to
+get the disks (local or remote) mounted so that the late
+stage can include scripts contained in the directories
+listed in the
+.Va local_startup
+variable (see below).
+Thus, the two likely candidates for this value are
+mountcritlocal for the typical system,
+and mountcritremote if the system needs remote file
+systems mounted to get access to the
+.Va local_startup
+directories.
+For example when
+.Pa /usr/local
+is NFS mounted.

>>> - diskless.8 should probably be updated to mentation that
>>>   early_late_divider must be set to mountcritremote for the documented
>>>   configuration to work.
>> I can do that as part of the change if you want, or you can do it, just let
>> me know.
>
> Please go ahead.

Ok, how is this:

+.Pp
+One difference that you should pay particular attention to is
+the value of
+.Va local_startup
+in
+.Pa /etc/defaults/rc.conf .
+A typical value for a
+.Nm
+boot is
+.Va mountcritremote ,
+however your needs may be different.
+.Pp
  The scripts provide four

Suggestions for improvements are welcome, it's been a long day.

> OK.  I might make rcconf.sh into a no-op that provides rcconf in the
> first commit and remove it for real in a day or so to make it easier to
> debug any inadvertent issues that result from increasing the number of
> scripts with no dependencies.

Yeah, not only is this a factor, but I also failed to take into account
another critical element. rcorder needs at least one script without any
REQUIRE lines to know where to start. Right now that's rcconf.sh by design,
but I think we need to replace that, rather than just delete rcconf.sh. This
is one of the few times when I think a dummy dependency would be useful. I
propose that I add a dummy dependency called START, and change everything
that currently depends on rcconf to depend on START instead. Sound good?

BTW, I noticed that there are several scripts that have no REQUIRE or
nostart. Should those be updated? They are: ccd, gbde, mixer, and securelevel.

Doug