Date:      Wed, 23 Oct 2002 01:24:53 +0200
From:      Palle Girgensohn <girgen@pingpong.net>
To:        freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   ipsec, ESP & IKE, freebsd as vpn `client' <-> openbsd, how?

Hi!

We just moved our company to a new `office hotel', and they have an openbsd
firewall with an VPN setup that I should be able to use from home. A
consultant set the openbsd machine up, and the guys in the new office knows
absolutely nothing about unix whatsoever. When asking how to use the VPN, I
got instructions for setting up the windows utility `PGP Desktop Security'.

Fine, I thought, I have the info I need:

- a shared secret
- IKE is used
- ESP is used
- no AH
- the preferred order for ciphers and hashes

Here's what I want to do:

Home, 1.2.3.4 (dhcp address)

| ipsec tunnel

OpenBSD, 5.6.7.8
w/ NAT 192.168.1.1

--------------------------------------------- ...
|             |               |             |
192.168.1.2  192.168.1.3   192.168.1.4    192.168.1.5

I want to access the machines behind the FW. Pretty straight forward, huh?
;-)

Anyway, I know the OpenBSD machine uses isakmpd, so I started looking at
that port, but the docs are very confusing. Also checked racoon, and I
guess both should work, but all examples are for setting up both ends at
once - in this case the `server' peer is already setup, and I don't exactly
how, just roughly.

Problem is, I just don't have time to learn everything about ipsec at this
time, I need the connection working yesterday... :-(

Is there a crash course / FAQ that will actually help me? Or can someone
just give some hints on how to set things up on the FreeBSD end, from
scratch?

Thanks in advance
Palle