Date:      Wed, 11 Oct 2000 14:07:29 -0700
From:      Kent Stewart <kstewart@urx.com>
To:        Mark Hummel <mhumm@ispchannel.com>
Cc:        Lowell Gilbert <lowell@world.std.com>, FSD <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: END OF THREAD ! [Why can't I get into the /sys directory ??]

Mark Hummel wrote:

> My heart-felt thanks to Lowell, and all who helped me with this challenge!
>
> I'm a bit wiser now thanks to all of you.
>
> Fact:  I don't have sources for the 4.1.1 R install.
>
> Fact:  I found out that the default or main ftp site I was using for the install
> doesn't have ver 4.1.1R's sources.  (Does anyone know the URL so I can get them?)
>
> Assumption:  I can't customize or create my own kernel until I download the sources
> which includes the customizable text file for the GENERIC kernel (I know I can do a
> basic customization via sysinstall).

I've been using cvsup so long that I can imagine doing it this way.
The source is always available at
ftp://ftp.FreeBSD.org/pub/FreeBSD/releases/i386/4.1.1-RELEASE/src/,
which changes for each release. You have all of these tiny files that
you have to concatenate together and install. I also can't imagine not
upgrading to 4.1.1-Stable but YMMV.

Kent

> Thanks again
>
> Mark
>
> Lowell Gilbert wrote:
>
> > mhumm@ispchannel.com (Mark Hummel) writes:
> >
> > > When I had FBSD 4.0 installed, I could easily get into the /sys directory.  Why
> > > can't I get into it now?
> >
> > At our best guess, because when you had FreeBSD 4.0, you installed the
> > sources, but with this new system, you never installed them at all.
> > But it's hard to say, because you haven't really given enough
> > information to be sure.  Before you post back to the list again,
> > *please* just type "ls /usr/src" and tell us if "sys" was one of the
> > things that was echoed back in the directory listing.
> >
> > >                           Besides, where is the default kernel file GENERIC
> > > located?  Isn't it somewhere below the /sys directory?
> >
> > It's in /usr/src/sys/i386/conf [assuming you're running an i386
> > system, and assuming you have the sources installed].  /sys is
> > irrelevant:  it's just a symbolic link, and it will point to
> > /usr/src/sys regardless of whether there *is* a /usr/src/sys or not.

Kent Stewart
Richland, WA

mailto:kbstew99@hotmail.com