Date:      Wed, 14 Jul 2010 00:24:39 +0800
From:      Bear <jilingshu@gmail.com>
To:        "Joe Marcus Clarke" <marcus@freebsd.org>, "Kevin Oberman" <oberman@es.net>
Cc:        FreeBSD GNOME Users <gnome@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Re: SUMMARY: GNOME startup issues

hi,
Thanks for your patch! Your patch actually solved the problem on gnome-panel but I must say, I dont think this patch fix the source of this problem.
The gnome-panel slow responding is only a hand, not the whole thing.
Why not install a Linux such as Debian and do a comparation?
In Linux, I can run gnome-session without ck-launch-session without any problem. The only thing I cant do is to shutdown my computer(no that menu) or mount a device(show a error messsagebox instantly with "Not authorized").
But in FreeBSD, although I applied your patch and use ck-launch-session to run my gnome-session, if I click on a non-freebsd partition, it would say nothing. Maybe you would say this is a problem related to hal, but I think this is related to dbus. Dbus denied transferring the "not authorized" message and so many other messages, also include the "cannot shutdown" message.

According to my analysis, I still believe the dbus default policy is the source of these problem. I think the only thing your patch did is to make ck-launch-session give more priviages like shutting down to gnome-session to prevent the error. But in truth, this is not the correct way to solve the problem. The source is dbus or policy, not other module.

Bear
2010-07-14