Date:      Thu, 10 Oct 2002 01:32:18 -0700
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
To:        Sheldon Hearn <sheldonh@starjuice.net>
Cc:        "M. Warner Losh" <imp@bsdimp.com>, drosih@rpi.edu, FreeBSD-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Do we still need portmap(8)?

Sheldon Hearn wrote:
> On (2002/10/09 22:03), Terry Lambert wrote:
> > The other problem with an mtree.obsolete is that it assumes
> > the the upgrade process completes successfully.  This doesn't
> > mean that it completes without an error in the upgrade process,
> > it means that the resulting system functions.
>
> Why not just let Warner (or whoever) make this "solution" available and
> see how it flies?

It was discussed already, the last 3 times this topic came up.
I believe that the only inoffensive thing that everyone could
agree to was: "do it however you want, as long as it requires
a special (non-default) target to make it do its thing".

No one wanted a "make install" or "make installworld" or whatever
deleting things, especially if it failed.

> People like you and me who have our own simple and effective ways of
> pruning stale files can just ignore it or hack it out.

I do it manually, just like everyone else.  Normally, I build a
world, mount the image read-only, and do a full install onto a
"pingpong" partition via NFS, which buys me a clean install, and
the ability to go back to the previous root partition, if the new
image is too broken to use.

I used to have an extra target for "/bin/sysinstall" to be created
on the CDROM image, so that I could do a full upgrade via NFS from
a CDROM image (instead of booting from one, particularly on machines
that didn't netboot and had no CDROM -- read: appliances), but that
doesn't work if you have to actually delete files for things to not
break on you (the source of the current controversy: "stale" files
not removed).

Personally, I have absolutley no objection to a mtree "stale file"
removal script.  I just think it will be nearly impossible to
maintain... and if it's not active by default, it's not going to
stop the people who post about problems, especially problems with
ports.  And since it *can't* be active by default... catch-22.

-- Terry